The New Universes Project is a charitable nonprofit organization that helps writers develop their writing, store that writing and supports groups of writers as well as community building efforts in the online collaberative writing space. Its mission is allowing them to focus on their writing and role-playing; allowing for creative expression and protection of that expression. It is overseen by a committee of role playing, publication and technology hobbyists whom want to see writing, tabletop and online role playing groups be successful. It was officially recognized in May of 2020 in the United States as a 501(c)3 public charity and is incorporated in the United States in the State of Oregon. More information on the groups structure and charter can be found on the governance page. Specific details about the project's management team can be found on its GuideStar page. It currently provides the following services:
- Operating its own role playing sims.
- Supporting literary works and operation of role playing/simming groups virtually.
- Maintaining community building operations within the role playing/simming community through its resource hub, SimmingHub.
- Managing and maintaining conferences that support a stance of equality and equity within simming and role playing.
- Offering technical services, server space and general support with role play specific applications to role playing groups, individual authors or interested groups.
- Fostering cooperation within the role-playing community to ensure long-lasting, supprotive work between groups, players and individual sites.
Funding and technical assistance for its programs are provided by Google, Microsoft, cPanel, Atlassian, Amazon Web Services, DreamHost and generous donations from the public.
If you would like to donate to TNU's programs please click here. To use Venmo to donate please click here. TNU's tax ID number for donation and financial purposes is 84-4494599.
You mention role-playing; what do you mean? What is "simming"?
This group writes in a collaborative writing format as a group known as play-by-post; this form of role playing "game" exists in a mixture of interactive fiction elements and combining collaborative writing within a set setting. Basically each writer portrays an individual character or a few characters within the universe developed by our team and interacts with other writers and staff members whom control others within the universe and live one another's lives. Posts consist of instant message based chat one on one sessions, group sessions and those over message board which are offered 24 hours a day for those with other time commitments. Staff members oversee universe rulesets and monitor the bounds of universe "law" which players can confer over should they have questions when writing. For additional explanations of play by post role playing please see the Wikipedia article which provides a brief overview of the topic or join our Discord server and ask a member of our community.